The Idea of Fitness

Posted by Kayla Castro
Jun 27 2014

998111_664108843602162_1790904623_n

The third thing on my list of things that boggles my mind is the fitness industry (see one and two). I usually illustrate this point by simply asking someone: “Where do people usually spend their money on fitness?” The answers I get usually include:

-Globo gym membership
-Yoga/Spin/Pilates classes
-”Fitness” DVDs
-Personal trainer
-Whey protein/supplements
-Home gym equipment (usually Bowflex, “The Perfect Pushup,” etc).

Then I ask, “Do you know anyone that’s gotten fit using these?” The answer 90% of the time is no, and the remaining 10% have dubious definition of fitness.

I call all of these “The Idea of Fitness.” People like the idea of being fit, they are presented with these avenues and told they will become fit. They sign up, they do what they are told to do, but they don’t see results. They are told to just stick with it, or to take this or that supplement stack (i.e., pay more money), and they’ll start seeing results.

In a way this is very frustrating for me. Here I am, providing an observable, measurable, repeatable and open-source fitness methodology and the non-CrossFit sector of the fitness market is at least 1000x larger.

But the flip side of that coin is that people can only get hustled for so long, and we see that with the continued growth of CrossFit. You can only get told that you need to pay more money and not see results so many times for you to think there might be a better way to get fit, but you might have to do some digging.

Were you hustled by the fitness industry? Who hustled you? What was your breaking point?

[Originally posted Potomac CrossFit 131001]

Comments are closed.